Friday, December 10, 2010

Prep work for Photo-Collage assignment (In Digital Illustration)

This assignment is SO much fun when we get to concentrate on a fairytale, especially since I can focus on my favorite one; Little Red Riding Hood!  We have to choose a scene from our stories and develop the illustration by making a photo-collage in Photoshop. The concentration should be on the environment setting rather than the characters. They should be 1/3 focus/size of the composition. Then we're gonna transform them into 3D images because that's the raaaaaage nowadays!!  8P

**Full View images for awesome details!**

My professor helped us out with composition tips with this template:


Professor Hill looked these over and really liked the 2nd page with the tiny value studies. He went on to tell me to develop the first 2 in row 2 and the 1st thumbnail in row 4.

I couldn't choose between the Wolf Shadow or the large flower in the foreground so I tried fixing up the Wolf Shadow thumbnail: 
I tried to make the optical illusion like here: http://media.log-in.ru/i/hourseandwoman.jpg but it was a FAIL. So I went ahead and made this awesome final lineart to reference my photos to:

I LOVE IT!! But of course of I need to tweak the comp around, everything is on a separate layer on a .PSD file.

Continued on to make some value studies, showing the pure light of Red ready for the snatching by the wolf's dark intentions:
I wanted that mysterious dangerous foggy forest and luckily I got some photo references for this AND to perhaps put into the final collage. I got a nice horizontal focal point heading down to itty-bitty Red there but of course I got a nice detailed rose in the foreground to symbolize Lil' RED's innocence about to fall, such as that petal there.

SUDDENLY COLOR!!! Thank you, Color Layer!!  8D
Maybe the bright candy colors to work much but I tired to get saturated colors as much as I can...

OK, as always, I am extremely indecisive so classmates and possibly any random passerby blog viewers, help me PLEASE on a choice of which value and which color study.

THANKS AGAIN!
 

1 comment:

  1. I like it! I really the the first value treatment the best. The light almost acts like a shape and makes your composition flow in a "U" like shape.

    The second one is kinda cool but the light source is coming from the ground, and little red gets lost in the dark. The third is interesting but 2/3rds of you picture is kinda covered in a strong blackness

    ReplyDelete